SDI INACTIVE DIVER/REFRESHER PROGRAM
The SDI Inactive Diver/Refresher Program is designed to update and review the knowledge and skill level of an inactive diver. SDI encourages the use of this program for instructors, assistant instructors, divemasters, and resorts or dive facilities that have questions regarding the diving history of an individual. This program can also be used as a catalyst for continuing education programs.
Who this course is for:
- The certified diver who has been inactive for a period of time and wishes to review the scuba skills and academic information before starting to dive again
To participate in the SDI Inactive Diver/Refresher Course, the individual must:
- Have proof of an SDI Open Water Scuba Diver
- SDI Junior Open Water Scuba Diver certification or equivalent from a recognized dive training organization.
What you can expect to learn:
Although one in-water training dive is required, the instructor or assistant instructor may use their discretion with reference to the skills needed to complete the dive.
SDI offers the following outline:
- Plan Dive
- Equalization techniques
- Communication signals
- Lung over-expansion problems
- Review of dive computer
- Scuba system assembly
- Weight adjustment
- Mask defog
- Don scuba system SDI Instructor Manual
- Adequate entry for site conditions
- Controlled descent
- Computer check, if used
- Regulator clearing
- Regulator recovery
- Mask clearing
- Fin use
- Buoyancy control; hovering
- Underwater tour
- Computer check
- Controlled ascent; computer assisted
- Disassemble scuba system
- Log dive
- Air sharing ascents
- Underwater emergency scenarios
What’s in it for you?
Upon successful completion of this course, graduates may engage in diving activities without direct supervision of the SDI Instructor* so long as the following limits are adhered to:
- The diving activities approximate those of training
- The areas of activities approximate those of training
- Environmental conditions approximate those of training
*Note: Junior divers (ages 10-14) must participate in diving activities with a parent, guardian, or dive professional.
Also, the SDI Inactive Diver/Refresher Diver certification counts towards a single specialty rating to achieve the SDI Advanced Diver Development Program.
SDI Inactive Diver/Refresher Diver minimum requirements:
- Complete all open water requirements efficiently
- Demonstrate mature and sound judgment concerning dive planning and execution
How to take this course!
- Find your local SDI Dive Center: here