The purpose of the SDI Altitude Diver Course is to acquaint a diver with the necessary procedures and knowledge to dive safely at altitudes at least 300 metres/1000 feet above sea level.
Who this course is for:
- The certified diver looking to experience scuba diving in high mountain lakes safely by applying what they learn during this course
- SDI Open Water Scuba Diver, SDI Junior Open Water Diver, or equivalent or current enrollment in one of those courses
- Minimum age 18, 10 with parental consent
What you can expect to learn:
The SDI Altitude Diver Course takes an in-depth look at all of the following and more:
- Why we do this type of diving?
- Dive tables as they relate to altitude diving
- DCIEM tables
- Bühlmann tables
- Cross corrections to United States Navy (USN) tables
- Computer’s capability and usage
- Calculations based on cross corrections to USN tables
- Examples of problems
- Last dive and travel at higher altitudes
- Correction of depth gauges and computers
- Gauges designed for 1 atmosphere (ATM)
- Capillary depth gauge will reflect the actual depth
- If there is any doubt use measured down line
- Hypoxia during altitude diving
- Levels of altitude:
- 300 metres/1000 feet SDI Instructor Manual
- 1200 metres/4000 feet, etc
Some of the required skills you will have to demonstrate include:
- Plan a dive at altitude using appropriate tables
- Compute their no-decompression information
- Test and check all equipment, i.e. depth gauges and bottom timers/watches and computers
- Enter water and descend
- Monitor depth and no-decompression time on slates
- Log dives
What’s in it for you?
Upon successful completion of this course, graduates may engage in diving activities without direct supervision of the SDI Instructor* so long as the following limits are adhered to:
- The diving activities approximate those of training
- The areas of activities approximate those of training
- Environmental conditions approximate those of training
*Note: Junior divers (ages 10-14) must participate in Altitude diving activities with a parent, guardian, or dive professional.
Also, the SDI Altitude Diver certification counts towards a single specialty rating to achieve the SDI Advanced Diver Development Program.
SDI Altitude Diver minimum requirements:
- Complete all open water requirements efficiently
- Demonstrate mature and sound judgment concerning dive planning and execution
How to take this course!
- Find your local SDI Dive Center: here